Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Dancing for the old....

bring HUGE smiles to their faces! I will admit that going in to a nursing home makes me sad......seeing people age, unable to care for themselves, locked in to a place that has become their house but is not their home, eating cafeteria food 3 times a day, surrounded by people who are not family but become the familiar faces they must live with each day.....in and out. But growing old is a season I will face and being placed in a nursing home may be my reality one day. I have found that simple gestures, words, or actions bring SHEER joy to these, appearing lost and lonely, faces.

Once a year the girls' dance studio visits a local nursing home to put on a short performance!
a few silly faces.....
twirls.....
......and whirls
are the highlight of these sweet onlookers!
AND while we had the freedom/ability to leave and drive to the safety and comfort of our homes at the end of the night.....
these women and men did not. Yet wheeled into a small room with a "roommate" they do not know. I want to make a BIGGER effort to stop in on a regular basis and bring some happiness to a place that could use it.......a NURSING HOME!!

2 comments:

The Hadfields said...

How sweet! I'm sure those tiny dancers made their day!!

Jen said...

Oh this is charming. Nursing homes are so overlooked and a place more of us should spend time, particularly our children. Do you know the shop, Sophie's? My daughters barrettes are sold there, my brother and his wife and son live in Chattanooga. I dig Chattanooga. It's a charming place!